A colonial New England meetinghouse was the focal point of the community where the town’s residents could discuss local issues, conduct religious worship, and engage in town business. Madison, originally part of Guilford and known as East Guilford, was incorporated in May of 1826. The First Congregational Church was constructed shortly thereafter in 1837 on the north side of the common. For nearly fifty years, Madison’s meetinghouse continued its dual purpose as a place of worship and as a public assembly place, hosting town meetings until the construction of the Memorial Town Hall in 1887.
Today the First Congregational Church of Madison presides over its beautiful four-acre Green, generously offering use of its land for an abundance of private and local events. The meetinghouse continues its tradition of being the center of community life hosting ceremonies to honor veterans, high school graduates and providing meeting space for various community groups.
The Madison Exchange Club celebrates the growth of our community around the Meetinghouse at the First Congregational Church of Madison, our Grand Marshal.
Formation time is 8:30 to 9:45 AM in the Stop & Shop parking lot. The parade kicks off at 10:00 AM July 4th down Route 1 through the center of Madison and concluding at the Surf Club. See map below.
Inquiries can be directed to the Parade Chairman
Come join us in the Town of Madison’s finest moment of community celebration and dedication to its future!
Tony Raccio, Parade Chairman
THROWING OF CANDY IN THE STREET WILL NOT BE ALLOWED DUE TO CONCERN
THAT CHILDREN MAY RUN IN FRONT OF VEHICLES